Mobile device management (MDM) has arisen in recent years to help enterprises gain some control and security assurance over smartphones. But MDM is just a piece of the overall picture. The future will be dominated by:
- Multiple devices per user
- Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) policies in the mobile space, and
- Advanced unified communications everywhere
As a result, companies need a comprehensive management strategy that integrates collaboration with MDM and with BYOD securely, in real-time and with high ease of use. This requires integrated management that is far more comprehensive than just MDM. Integrated collaboration fulfillment with MDM is a better solution.
Advanced collaboration/MDM management systems will provide the following capabilities:
- Integrated Single Sign On credentials for VPN, which means that security is based around the user
- Real-time device discovery and management – then linked to a user in real-time based on rules
- Any device, anywhere, linked into FMC and SNR automatically in real-time
It is the last capability that will deliver real productivity gains to users. When a user brings their new tablet to work, it is critical that they are able to securely integrate that device into their collaboration and business applications, such as FMC.