Ooredoo, previously Qtel, had historically offered Qatari businesses traditional, standalone PBX services, based on TDM technology. More recently Ooredoo had also offered standalone IP-PBXs. In most cases, customers managed their PBX platforms themselves, with Ooredoo providing PSTN carriage services. Whilst offering advanced business telephone features, the traditional PBX had a high total cost of ownership. Standalone TDM PBX customers also lacked advanced productivity features, such as integrated directory services, unified messaging, collaboration, mobility and presence. Even when the customer opted for IP-PBX solutions, they lacked the resources to fully exploit the capabilities. In 2005 Ooredoo issued an RFP for a managed IP telephony service platform.
Ooredoo selected the Cisco / VOSS HUCS architecture as its core managed IPT centralized solution, launched in 2006 as overlay to its MPLS network that was launched in 2004.
Ooredoo has since deployed services to over 70 customers at 140 locations with a total of 6000 phones, and has expressed significant satisfaction with the ease and speed to market of HUCS services in comparison to the deployment of dedicated IP phone systems to individual customers.
VOSS supports IP Unity auto-attendant services, voicemail-to-email and Netwise switchboard automation.
Ooredoo engaged with VOSS for a second phase project to support audio and web conferencing, headend geo-redundancy, a reference platform build and dual dial plan support (residential and business).
- Rapid automated rollouts resulting in faster customer connections
- 95% reduction in time taken to carry out MACs
- 6000 phones and 70 customers supported by 2 NOC operators
- Advanced, full-feature IP-based telephony service
- Improved platform resilience and QoS, compared to self-ownership
- Secure, web-based administration GUI
- Easy, web-based service self-care for end users
Direct Cost Savings:
- 50% reduction to Ooredoo's operating costs
- 30-40% reduction in TCO for customers
- Increased time to revenue - customers are now connected in 5-10 days, compared to 2-3 months
Testimonial from Ooredoo
"We are bringing to Qatar the most advanced hosted IP telephony managed solution, where our customers can enjoy a feature-rich service, web-based administration and service management, all with the resilience of a carrier-class delivery platform."
Mr Khalil al-Emadi, Ooredoo