IT Technical Specialist (Network Security & Infrastructure), Cape Town, SA
About the company
VOSS develops a range of products that are used by the world’s largest communications service providers and enterprises. These market-leading tools are paired with professional services to help our customers achieve the most from their digital workplace platform. We operate in a very dynamic industry and leverage the latest technologies to keep our software at the forefront of the market.
VOSS is a global team with offices in Cape Town, Dallas, London, and Sydney. Our engineers are encouraged to travel and work directly with our customers to gain real-world experience.
Read more about VOSS and what we do, on our website.
Purpose of the position
The Network Security & Systems Administration role will be responsible for maintaining and improving the overall network and security posture of the organization across the on-premise and cloud infrastructure; work jointly with the IT team to monitor, troubleshoot, manage and improve IT Systems, and provide timely and professional assistance with Service Desk / Help Desk tickets.
They will report to the VP of Operations and will work closely with the IT Team, providing and receiving cross-training on the various systems and infrastructure, to be able to better support the wider business needs, as a Team.
They will help to plan, design, implement, monitor, troubleshoot, optimize, audit, and decommission, when needed, the various VOSS systems. As such, they should have a varied background of experience in supporting networks, information technology systems and infrastructure, engineering/software developers, and information security while being experienced operating in Service Desk/Help Desk and changing controlled environments.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide L2-L3 Administration, troubleshooting and maintenance for VOSS infrastructure such as:
- Firewalls, IDS/IPS, VPN, Security appliances & Cloud Security.
- Routing, Switching and Wireless networking.
- VMware vCenter and Hypervisors such as ESXi.
- Server Hardware and components (e.g. storage controllers).
- Storage Infrastructure ( SAN and vSAN).
- Linux/Windows Systems Administration.
- Active Directory / Identity Management Administration.
- Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and Google Cloud computing.
- Network & Systems Monitoring (Zabbix, PRTG, vRealize, VOSS Insights).
- Manage and maintain security infrastructure and toolsets. i.e Firewalls, Networking equipment, Vulnerability Management systems, SIEM, etc.
- Assist with IT & Security related projects, rollouts and infrastructure maintenance including Backup, Business Continuity, and Disaster Recovery.
- Maintaining and improving the security of IT systems through proactive monitoring and event management and providing recommendations.
- Analyse and triage security events and alarms detected by the Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) system.
- Respond to security incidents and threats logged on the company’s service desk and remediate/mitigate where necessary.
- Action requests relating to IT Network, Security & VMware Infrastructure are logged on the service desk. Assist with other System Administration as needed.
- Stay up to date with industry trends around cybersecurity and provide input to businesses with regards to improvements, innovations and best practices.
- Assist with the design, implementation and management of endpoint management and security solutions; i.e. Anti-malware, Antivirus systems, and Mobile Device Management (MDM).
- Automation of repetitive tasks.
- Conduct Vulnerability Assessments on the perimeter and internal mission-critical endpoints and provide remediation where necessary.
- Perform penetration tests on public-facing systems.
- Manage security awareness campaigns within the organization to maintain a healthy security posture.
- Align organizational security roadmap with proven industry cybersecurity frameworks such as NIST.
- Provide technical input into company IT security standards and best practices in alignment with industry-recognized standards such as ISO27001 and SOC 2.
- Develop and maintain security safeguards around the organisation’s cloud footprint.
- Drive the adoption and implementation of an effective data protection strategy which is aligned with industry standards, legal requirements and contractual obligations.
- Act us custodian for company policies relating to security and data privacy.
- Occasionally assist the Engineering team with security-related testing of Voss software and provide input around system hardening.
- Train and upskill junior staff.
Technical skills and experience
- At least 5 years within an Network & Security support environment working across network and server infrastructure both on premise and in the cloud.
- A minimum of 5 years network administration and networking support experience for firewalls, switches, Wireless, (Fortigate & Cisco) and VPN client connections experience required.
- A minimum of 5 years Windows 2012 and newer Server Administration and Active Directory/DNS/DHCP administration experience required.
- A minimum of 3 years Linux/Unix administration experience required.
- A minimum of 3 years backup and recovery experience required.
- Proven ability to administer, configure Virtual Machine (VMware ESXi) environments including resource optimisation and administration.
- Exposure to and experience doing support within a software development house.
- Bash and Shell Scripting knowledge also a distinct advantage.
- Display a strong sense of ownership and independent work ethic.
- Process-oriented and structured.
- Customer service orientated with a willingness to engage people and help.
- Can-do attitude and aptitude for achieving personal growth and technical results.
- Friendly, approachable and a willingness to help people.
- Good understanding of adherence to internal SLA’s.
- Multinational experience would be advantageous.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Additional competencies required
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects and deliverables simultaneously.
- Self-reliant, self-managing team player with good interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to work successfully with large, complex teams.
- Confidence to own responsibility to get things done.
- Prior System Administrator experience.
- Relevant course completions and certification would be advantageous such as:
- Microsoft MCSE
- Cisco CCNA
- Google Cloud
- EC Council CEH / Security + / CISSP
- Must hold current valid driver’s license and passport.
- Own transport for daily commute to the office located in Century City.
- Must be able to travel from time to time.
- You must have the legal right to work in South Africa.
VOSS Locations and Working from home
- Work from the office 2-3 days a week and work from home on the other days.
- Occasionally to work on projects or troubleshooting at the Cape Town Colocation Data Center.