Senior Project-Programme Manager
About the company
VOSS develops a range of products that are used by the world’s largest communications service providers and enterprises. These market-leading tools are paired with professional services to help our customers achieve the most from their digital workplace platform. We operate in a very dynamic industry and leverage the latest technologies to keep our software at the forefront of the market.
VOSS is a global team with offices in Cape Town, Dallas, London, and Sydney. Our engineers are encouraged to travel and work directly with our customers to gain real-world experience. Read more about VOSS and what we do, on our website.
Purpose of the position
VOSS Project Services team has a global footprint with a significant customer base in APAC. The purpose of this position is to provide direction and senior-level management to the regional Project Services team with the aim of improving the support to Sales, the successful delivery of projects and ultimately the satisfaction of our Customers. We are looking for a leader who can take ownership of all the projects in the region, initially do hands on management of these to learn the VOSS and our customer’s approaches, and then work with the Services leadership team to build out a team of effective project managers as the number and complexity of the projects in the region expands. We need someone who has a blend of strong project management skills, commercial savvy and a relatively strong technical background. Our ideal candidate is a team player that can work well across organisational boundaries with sales, the development team and the customer success and support folks. We are looking for a person who has a proactive approach that ensures comprehensive up front project planning, scope definition and expectation setting. Furthermore he/she will have great client engagement experience and will be able to also successfully manage the commercial aspects of projects. If you’re a strong leader who is a great problem-solver, self-motivated and takes pride in project success and client satisfaction, then you could be the perfect fit!
Duties and responsibilities
- Program and portfolio management
Provide a big-picture perspective to manage the regional project portfolio to ensure it is in line with strategic business objectives.
- Goal setting and project planning
Proactively work with all the relevant internal and external stakeholders to set project goals, project scope and objectives. Identify and allocate necessary resources, estimate project budgets, ensure project scopes and schedules are agreed both internally and by the customers involved.
- Project tracking and evaluation
Proactively manage projects to deliver them in-scope, on-time and on-budget while enforcing checkpoints and managing change-control.
- Communications and coordination
Work with multiple project teams and project managers and other professionals both in and outside VOSS, such as:
- C-level management
Report to external clients or organizational leadership regarding project status, progress, metrics, risks, test results, and deployment activities. Provide feedback, advice, and encouragement to the project managers and team members during project execution.
Encourage teams to display transparency and to proactively recommend opportunities to improve
- Subject matter expert
Provide recommendations for best practices and tools to increase efficiency, boost productivity, and achieve project and business goals.
Keep abreast of project management as a field, such as the latest developments, standards, best practices, tools, and project management software in the industry.
- Mentoring and coaching
Build and train project teams to expand their capabilities by establishing best practices, policies, PM methodologies, quality assurance and control, tools, and templates. Advocate for learning, process improvement, and project management in the company.
- Support Sales Process
Represent VOSS to prospective customers, and assist the sales team with business development and pre-sales activities
Technical skills and experience
- Excellent program and project management skills including prioritization, scheduling, and documentation
- Knowledge of project management tools (including JIRA, Smartsheet), techniques, and processes
- Excellent customer management skills to ensure expectations are correctly set up front and managed throughout the process through effective scope change management so that ultimately the project is delivered with high levels of customer satisfaction
- Solid technical understanding and ability to define and refine requirements through a project lifecycle
- Previous experience planning and managing large projects/programmes of circa $500k (USD) in value
- Previous experience working in small to medium sized global software based business (100 to 200 employees)
- Proven ability to work in a cross functional team with sales, development and customer success.
- Knowledge of IT/UC including networking, hardware, and infrastructure
Additional competencies required
- Very high levels of problem solving skills
- High energy and enthusiasm and ability to succeed in a dynamic work environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication, and analytical ability
- Ability to work effectively across a widely diverse management team, as well as a broad spectrum of internal and external partners
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration, negotiation, escalation, and influencing skills
- Strong commercial acumen of the financial (budget, costs, revenue and cash flow) implications of projects
- Strong business acumen, leadership abilities, good judgement, and courage
- Stakeholder and change management experience.
- Personal confidence to challenge and suggest ways to improve any existing VOSS processes
- (Required) Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience with 7+ Years project management
- (Preferred) PMI or PMP certification or similar
- Driving License
- Travel both nationally and internationally