VOSS MiGR8-2-UC: Taking Away the Pain
Derek Smith, Product Marketing Manager, VOSS Solutions
The first thing that comes to mind when I think of enterprise software migrations is "pain". The second is "expensive". I worked for a software company several years ago that spent millions just to develop the migration functionality of their software (migrations were still very difficult). Businesses spend millions migrating their communications platforms to newer versions, or to entirely new solutions, or from on-premise to the cloud. The stakes are high; vendors don’t want to support old solutions forever, and customers want access to the latest UC applications and services without the impact to end user productivity and their bottom line. Migration pain is a big barrier, one that VOSS wants to eliminate for your business.
VOSS-enabled migrations save money, minimize business impact, and reduce errors. A recent VOSS-led migration, using VOSS MiGR8-2-UC, helped a customer with 30,000 users and 1,100 sites migrate 30% faster and reduce costs by 50% over the planned manual migration. The customer saved approximately $500,000!
The benefits of migrating are huge: taking advantage of the latest communication features and applications, getting away from expensive or outdated legacy systems, or moving to a new deployment methodology that better fits your business.
Here are several options available by using VOSS MiGR8-2-UC:
- Move from on-premise to hosted (or the other way around)
- Move from legacy to the latest UC offering (of one or multiple vendors)
- Move from an old to the newest release of your current UC solution
- Migration can also mean site moves or dial plan upgrades
Key challenges when thinking about migration
The biggest pain point of migrating your communication system is data:
- Where does the data come from?
- How do you know if it is accurate?
- Which system is the master?
- How do you transform the data to meet the new UC system requirements?
- Who validates and how do you do it?
- How do you efficiently load it into the new system?
Another big pain point is business continuity:
- How do you avoid a loss of service?
- What advanced settings will you migrate to minimize end user impact?
- What is the cost of errors or roll-backs and how do you avoid them?
VOSS is the remedy to data and business continuation pain using our “Discover, Extract, Transform, Validate, Load” methodology:
- VOSS mines user and device data from legacy systems across a wide cross-section of vendors and heterogeneous systems, such as Cisco, Avaya, Nortel, Lync, Siemens, Alcatel, Mitel, and other systems.
- Then, rather than exporting data from, for example, a PBX, by generating a large csv file, VOSS is able to extract data through the API or through tools that can pull directly from the PBX database. We do this in a controlled intelligent way, not as a single dump; we know what we are looking for. We also automate the cleaning and normalization/aggregation of data.
- Secondly, we use advanced transformation tools to manipulate the data automatically, applying business rules and logic.
- Thirdly, we have added a browser-based GUI to provide access to the data online, in real time. Administrators can easily review and edit the data in this form, compared to a spreadsheet. Access control allows the right audience to review their own data in bit-sized chunks.
- Lastly, because all of the extraction and transformation logic has been put in place, it is possible to re-load data from the legacy platform ahead of the site cutover, to ensure that the data is fully up to date. This completely removes issues with out-of-date data.
In addition, inter platform trunking is managed automatically, so that call flows for the cutover sites will logically traverse the network correctly between the old and new PBXs, reducing the risk of business disruption.
With more than 10 years working in the enterprise communications migration business, MiGR8-2-UC overcomes the significant complexity of UC migration, ensuring improved staff efficiency and productivity, faster site cutovers, high levels of data accuracy and a lower business risk.
Don’t miss out on the productivity benefits of migrating to your ideal UC environment. Take advantage of a VOSS-enabled migration so that the first thing that comes to mind when you think of your own migration is "easy" (and the second is "savings!").