VOSS M2UC Latest Feature: Project-Level Backups
Tom Turrington, Migration Team Lead, VOSS
As you may be aware, we are constantly looking for improvements that can be made to our migration automation software, M2UC. More often than not this comes in the form of requested features.
The latest feature to have just completed testing is the ability to make backups of an entire project.
The capability to backup the entire database from the CLI already exists, but until now there has been no way to snapshot individual projects. As of the latest release (GUI-19.11.2), users can backup any projects they have access to. This brings the following benefits:
- Security - users can only back up the projects they have access to
- Backup size is minimal
- There are two forms of backup - direct or online "snapshot" which stays on the platform, and a downloadable offline backup that can be restored onto another platform
- Ability to add notes to a backup - the time and date are also always recorded
- Flexibility - users can freely backup their data and roll back their project during testing as many times as they like
- Ease of use - manipulating these backups is managed through the GUI
- Projects can be cloned - if an offline backup is restored and a project already exists with that name, that project is left untouched and the restored project and its batches/data-sets are appended with an incrementing number
This upgrade can be applied to any previous release of M2UC and in the same way as any other upgrade. It only takes a few minutes to install this new functionality; and the installation can be carried out either by VOSS or internally.
Some screenshots of this great new functionality are below.
To work with backups, choose Backup or Restore from the drop-down of the relevant project on the Projects screen:
Direct snapshots and downloadable offline backups are both possible. Notes can be added if required (but are optional):
Progress of backups is logged:
Exportable backups can be downloaded from the logs:
Online project backups can be restored and deleted from the same Project drop-down as to start the backup:
Offline backups can be restored from the large "Restore" button on the Projects page:
If you would like any further information or have any ideas for new great features, get in touch with VOSS.