VOSS Insights: Raptor
Proactive call analysis
Actionable intelligence and performance management
Raptor is part of the VOSS Insights Assurance solution providing actionable intelligence and performance management.
Raptor is a SIP device registered to your call management system. It will generate voice call traffic on your network across call paths of your choosing. These calls can be scheduled or made ad hoc.
Automatically run repeatable test cases and call flows on a schedule.
Generate real network traffic and calls to help diagnose signaling and media problems
Generate traffic at different codecs
Add the Raptor as additional log data to search when required
Identify issues before they impact users
This traffic allows you to proactively ensure:
- Dial tone across the network
- Active registration and calls from your end users to your PBX
- Unsuccessful calls are properly alerting to the support team
- A consistent level of data on a consistent basis between important sites
Raptor data also helps with root cause analysis and combined with VOSS Insights: Netflow, you can isolate faults in your network as well.
|Call path analysis|
|Unsuccessful call alerts|
|Cause code analysis|
|Call metrics (requires NetFlow)|
There are many tests an engineer could perform to ensure the collaboration solution is working as expected. Raptor can help you automate all of these tests:
- Inter site and intra site connections
- PSTN in and PSTN out
- Calls to mobile, calls to contact centers, calls to voicemail
- PBX to PBX calls
- Call recording initiation
- Dial plan call flows
- Codec and transcoding
One automation example is the case of a dial plan issue: Raptor would immediately alert if the change was not completed successfully, ensuring the change could be rolled back to avoid a longer service outage.
How it works
- Raptor can make calls to:
- Physical phones
- Other Raptors (in a ‘pitcher, catcher’ set up)
- Deployment footprint is small
- Virtual machine
- Windows machine
- Small network appliance (like an Intel NuC)
- Deploy as many Raptor clients as required
- No additional VOSS licenses to enable Raptor (your call management system may require a device license to register)
Additional use cases
- Migration to new UC&C service: Eliminate the site visit to test devices and call flows by using Raptor to send test calls to the site.
- Troubleshooting problem sites / locations: Generate calls remotely to view issues across the call path and call quality metrics. se raptor on sites that are difficult to resolve issues
- Verify dial tone: It is possible for the call management system to be “up” but users still do not have dial tone. Scheduling calls will help you proactively discover any issues.